Regular electrical inspections are particulary important for businesses, but they are also recommended for homes. Edison Electrical provide testing and inspection services for domestic, commercial and industrial properties.
All electrical installations deteriorate with time, and they should therefore be inspected and tested at regular intervals to check whether they are in a satisfactory condition for continued use. This is an important safety procedure that should not be ignored or delayed, and you should always ensure that you have an up to date Electrical Condition Report (EICR).
A periodic inspection of electrics in your property will:
- Reveal if any of your electrical circuits or equipment are overloaded.
- Find any potential electric shock risks and fire hazards
- Identify any defective electrical work
- Highlight any lack of earthing or bonding
Tests are carried out on hard wiring during these inspections, but not on fixed electrical equipment which would be checked during a PAT test.
Edison Electrical will issue an Electrical Installation Condition Report detailing any observed damage, deterioration, defects, dangerous conditions and any non-compliances with the present-day safety standard that might give rise to danger. We will then assist you with a plan of works to bring your property up to the required safety standard.
How often is a periodic inspection required?
The interval between each condition report is determined by the previous inspector, but is usually as follows:
- 10 years for an owner-occupied home
- 5 years for a rented home
- 3 years for a caravan
- 1 year for a swimming pool
Other times when a periodic inspection should be carried out are:
- When a property is being prepared for letting
- Before selling a property or buying a previously-occupied property
Call Edison Electrical to arrange a time for your inspection.